About The Position
Employment Type: Full-Time, contract
– Mandatory pre-camp training dates: June 17, 24, 28, 29 (9:30am-4:30pm)
– Pre-camp season: May 8 – June 30 (9:30am-4:30pm)
– Camp dates: July 3 – August 25 (8:00am – 4:45pm, Thursdays until 5pm)
Contract Salary Range: $8,000 – $10,000
We are looking for fun, organized, and experienced managers to join our Leadership Team for Summer Camp 2023. The Head Counselor has a senior role at camp. They are responsible for overseeing a group of Unit Heads (at camp, Unit Heads are responsible for a specific age group of campers and their respective counsellors). The Head Counselor provides socio-emotional support to the entire camp family and needs to be a great listener and communicator. An interest in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, math) and/or outdoor activities is an asset, but what we are really looking for are candidates with lots of experience working with youth and young adults, are strong leaders, and love camp!
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Has extensive experience supervising children in a camp/recreation/educational setting
- Is team-oriented and collaborative
- Has experience managing teams
- Will mentor and assist Unit Heads and camp counsellors in providing campers with a fun and safe camp experience
- Will maintain excellent rapport with staff, campers, and camp families
- Is understanding of the uniqueness of each camper and staff member and able to find ways to make everyone feel part of the team
Role & Responsibilities
- Supervise and mentor a group of Unit Heads, their staff, and campers
- Oversight of the camp day
- Train and evaluate Unit Heads
- Communicate with Unit Heads, Counsellors, Instructors, camp families, and members of the Leadership Team on an ongoing basis
- Lead staff meetings
- Liaise between Leadership Team and Unit Heads
- Manage staff and/or camper conduct as needed
- Previous experience in a supervisory or leadership role in camp or related field.
- 3+ years experience working with children ages 4 to 14 in a camp or educational setting
- Full weekday availability for pre-camp from mid May until June and camp in July and August.
Considered an Asset:
- A background or education in teaching, recreation, early childhood education, science and technology, outdoor adventure, sports, or a related field
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR-HCP (or willingness to obtain)
- Valid driver’s license
- Vulnerable Sector Screening Check (upon hire)
This job may be funded by the Government of Canada’s Student Work Placement Program (SWPP). The SWPP program requires that candidates be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or a protected person defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.